Tuesday, November 9, 2010

For our own Weezy F Baby...

I've got a ton of actual real work to do today, but wanted to get this out there ASAP as I've been on a spree recently, grabbing a bunch of new mixes off my fav blogs, which I've been delinquent in keeping up with over the past month or so.

This posting though is an GEM of a throwback that features Big L and Weezy's main man, Jay-Z.  Now this is no "I jumped on the Jiggaman bandwagon early in 1998 with Vol. 2 ish"....this is pre-Roc-A-Fella, straight up Adam and Eve style! We're going back to February of 1995, when a young Hova and the now deceased Lamont Coleman (Big L, RIP) appeared on the Stretch and Bobbito show (early/mid 90's, Thursday night NYC vinyl-only freestyle sessions for the freshest upcoming artists to get some airtime).  The show intros with Big L, then he and Jay-Z trade off a couple times.

In Jay-Z's second appearance at the mic, he notes how he's just gotten "Rap Pick of the Week" on BET, and how his new album has limited distribution, but should be available shortly, as soon as the deal gets signed...um, yeah....this is Jay-Z today.

Big L lays some nasty lines, but Jay-Z clearly steals the show and from 7:55 on, he's nothing less than amazing...

"I'm flowing the fattest, mmmm that is, mmmm, I'm the baddest
No need to explain my name, the only thing that matters
For suckers who bite me, they find I'm a bit much to swallow
You're thinking that's hollow, the rhythm is too rugged to follow
I hit you like bam, biggity bam, bam, biggity bam
Let me take a little breath…g damn
The kid is a wizard"

Enjoy

Big L & Jay-Z - Freestyle On Stretch and Bobbito Show (FULL) (02.23.95) by Peralta Project

No comments: