Friday, December 3, 2010

The Dowks Thanksgiving Mix of Amazeballs


I finally got a mix back from the disreputable Dowks after years of sending him an increasingly questionable collection of mixes (starting with an O.G. mix tape made about the time this photo was taken) I'm picking my top three that I didn't already know about (as hard as it for me not to pick Freelance Whales and M83...) and hoping he won't kill me for posting a photo of him before he could shave. Thanks for all the shenaniganry JD!

1. Lay Lady Lay - Magnet and Gemma Hayes
I really hate the original version of this song. I don't know why. I just do. This one is brilliant and getting added to my Sundays collection of music I listen to when I'm baking, reading, and basically enjoying the last moments of my weekends. Thanks for turning a song I hate into something I really dig guys!


2. Pretty Lights- Drift Away
I've read a ton of references to this awesome DJ, and according to my research, he has even been at some of the shows I've attended over the years and yet somehow he has totally escaped my music library until now. After listening to this song repeatedly, I'm about to remedy this shortcoming posthaste.


3. Baths- Animal
This track is the penultimate electropop groove that I've been obsessing over the last couple months. I can throw this into my Gold Panda, Animal Collective, Caribou three-ring circus and I know it will play nicely with the other DJ types. Bonus points for being from the Bay Areal local label Anticon.


Honorable Mention: Alexander's track 'Truth'. While I knew about the Edward Sharpe side project, I didn't expect how much I would dig this.


No comments: